Research Scholar Grant
This R&E Foundation grant supports junior faculty members who have completed resident and fellowship programs, but haven’t been recognized as independent investigators. Our funding not only helps establish recipients as investigators, but also supports them as they collect preliminary data that could lead to other funding in the future.
Applications for the 2022-23 grant cycle will be available October 2021.
Application deadline: January 18, 2022
Nature of projects
Any area of research in the radiologic sciences is eligible for funding. Projects may include any of the following:
- Hypothesis-driven basic science
- Clinical investigation
- Drug, device or therapy development
- Comparative effectiveness
- Evidence-based radiology
- Ethics and professionalism
- Quality improvement
- Clinical practice efficiency
- Imaging informatics
Please note, though any of the above topics are accepted, projects focused on advancing imaging science, developing or evaluating medical imaging technology or making innovative use of imaging science to answer important biologic or clinical questions are encouraged.
Additionally, in even-numbered years, RSNA R&E Foundation and the Foundation of the American Society of Neuroradiology (ASNR) will co-sponsor a joint award to support projects in neuroradiology research.
Grant recipients receive $75,000 a year for two years to be used as salary support. Funds may not be used for non-personnel research expenses.
An additional $1,000 will be paid to the institution each year to help cover costs associated with the Scholar Advisor Program.
Any junior radiology faculty member may apply for the Research Scholar Grant, as long as you are an RSNA member and meet the following criteria:
- You must hold a full-time faculty position in a department of radiology, radiation oncology or nuclear medicine within a North American educational institution.
- You must have been hired within the last 5 years with an academic rank of instructor, assistant professor or an equivalent title.
- You must have completed advanced training and be certified by either the American Board of Radiology (ABR), The Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Canada or are on track for certification.
- You cannot have been a principal investigator on a grant or contract totaling more than $60,000 in a single year. This includes single and combined grants and contracts from government, private and commercial sources.
- You and your principal investigators cannot be employed by any for-profit, commercial company in the radiologic sciences.
- You cannot submit more than one grant application to the RSNA R&E Foundation a year and cannot have a concurrent RSNA grant.
- Funding from other grant sources must be approved by Foundation staff if it wasn’t described in the original research plan.
- You cannot have previously accepted any of the following grants: ARRS Scholar Award, AUR GE-Radiology Research Academic Fellowship (GERRAF), RSNA Research Scholar Grant.
While applications are accepted from departments that currently host Research Scholar Grant recipients, only one new nomination may be submitted per department, per year.
Additional information and instructions
For more detailed information, including application instructions, please review the policies and procedures (PDF) for this grant.
To apply for this grant, please log in and use our online grant application system. You must be a member to apply.
The application system will be accessible beginning October 2021.
Current recipientsTo view additional recipients from prior years, please use our online grant and award recipient search tool.
About the R&E Foundation
Our Research & Education Foundation provides a critical source of support for investigators. Since the Foundation’s inception in 1984 we’ve awarded over 1,600 grants. That’s $70 million in funding for radiology research and improving patient care.