Resident/Fellow Research Grant
This R&E Foundation grant gives young radiologists the chance to gain insight and experience in scientific investigation while they’re still in training. Our funding supports them as they learn research techniques and methods early, and sets recipients up for careers in academic radiologic science.
Applications for the 2022-23 grant cycle will be available October 2021.
Application deadline: January 18, 2022
Nature of projects
Any area of research in the radiologic sciences is eligible for funding. However, this grant is not intended to support those who are simply trying to gain practical experience in clinical radiology or fund PhD post-doc projects.
Qualifying areas of research may include the following:
- Hypothesis-driven basic science
- Clinical investigation
- Drug, device or therapy development
- Comparative effectiveness
- Evidence-based radiology
- Ethics and professionalism
- Quality improvement
- Clinical practice efficiency
- Imaging informatics
Please note, though any of the above topics are accepted, projects focused on advancing imaging science, developing or evaluating medical imaging technology, or making innovative use of imaging science to answer important biologic or clinical questions are encouraged.
Resident grant recipients receive $30,000 for a one year project, and fellow grant recipients receive $50,000 for a one year project. Funds may be used for salary support or non-personnel research expenses.
Any resident or fellow may apply for this grant, as long as you are an RSNA member. If you’re a non dues-paying member, your scientific advisor or your co-investigator must be a dues-paying member. You must also meet the following criteria:
North American applicants
- You must be a resident or fellow in a department of radiology, radiation oncology, nuclear medicine or medical physics.
- Resident grant: If you’re a radiology, radiation oncology or nuclear medicine resident, you must complete your internship year and at least six months of specialty training in radiologic sciences. If you’re a medical physics resident, you must have completed at least six months of residency training.
- Fellow grant: You must be in the last year of, or have completed, residency training and you must be in a fellowship position while you’re being funded.
- You must be certified by the American Board of Radiology (ABR) or The Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Canada, or on track for certification.
- Note: If you’re in an integrated or independent interventional radiology (IR) residency program, you may apply for this grant. Funding can only be used during your IR-specific residency years: years five and six for integrated IR residents; years six and seven for independent IR residents.
- You must already be accepted into a one or two year fellowship position at a North American education institution at the time of application.
- You must be in the last year of, or have completed, residency training.
- You must be certified by the radiology board in your home country, or on track for certification.
- Your research project must be completed while you’re at a North American institution.
- You cannot have ever held a faculty position in the radiologic sciences at or above an assistant professor, or equivalent position.
- You cannot have been a principal investigator on a grant or contract totaling more than $60,000 in a single year. This includes single and combined grants and contracts from government, private and commercial sources.
- You and your principal investigators cannot be employed by any for-profit, commercial company in the radiologic sciences.
- You cannot submit more than one grant application to the RSNA R&E Foundation a year, and cannot have a concurrent RSNA grant.
- Funding from other grant sources must be approved by foundation staff if it wasn’t described in the original research plan.
For more detailed information, including application instructions, please review the policies and procedures (PDF) for this grant.
To apply for this grant, please log in and use our online grant application system. You must be a member to apply.
The application system will be accessible beginning October 2021.
To view additional recipients from prior years, please use our online grant and award recipient search tool.
About the R&E Foundation
Our Research & Education Foundation provides a critical source of support for investigators. Since the Foundation’s inception in 1984 we’ve awarded over 1,600 grants. That’s $70 million in funding for radiology research and improving patient care.