The William W. Olmsted Editorial Fellowship for Trainees is for residents and fellows in training interested in scholarly publication and editorial processes at medical journal offices.
As an Olmsted fellow, you'll learn about manuscript preparation and editing, peer review, journal production, printing and digital publishing. At the end of the fellowship, you'll complete a program evaluation and prepare a follow-up report on your experiences during and after the fellowship.
Application and deadline
Applications for the Olmsted Fellowship are closed and will reopen again in 2024.
The fellowship lasts for approximately one week. During this time, the Olmsted fellow will:
- Spend two days working with the editor of Radiology in New York City
- Visit Phoenix to work with the editor of RadioGraphics for one day
- Have a virtual visit with the editors of the RSNA subspecialty journals
- Meet the RSNA publications department in Oak Brook, Illinois, and learn about the production process
- Assist the editors and attend editorial meetings during the RSNA annual meeting in Chicago
To be eligible for the Olmsted Fellowship, you must:
- Be an RSNA member
- Still be in training (resident, fellow)
- Have a record of publications in scientific and/or educational peer-reviewed journals
Each department or institution should nominate only a single candidate for the fellowship in any given year. Interested individuals should coordinate their application with their department’s administration.
One fellow is selected each year and is awarded a stipend of $3,000 to cover travel, lodging and expenses.
2023 Olmsted fellow
Masis Isikbay, MD, has been named the 2023 William W. Olmsted Trainee Editorial Fellow.
Dr. Isikbay is a diagnostic neuroradiology fellow at University of California, San Francisco (UCSF) where he will complete a neuro-interventional radiology fellowship. After earning his medical degree from Harvard Medical School in Boston, Dr. Isikbay completed his radiology residency at UCSF where he served as chief resident of the diagnostic radiology program.
A recipient of the 2022 RSNA Education Project Award, for which he created an online radiology call prep curriculum, Dr. Isikbay was also recently awarded the RSNA Derek Harwood-Nash International Education Scholar Grant to expand on these efforts.
Dr. Isikbay is a member of RSNA’s Radiology In Training editorial board and serves as a full reviewer for both Radiology and RadioGraphics.
For questions, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Past Olmsted fellows
- 2022 Dhairya A. Lakhani, MD
- 2021 Kaitlin Marie Marquis, MD
- 2020 Anna Trofimova, MD, PhD
- 2019 Matthew D. Alvin, MD
- 2018 Elizabeth George, MD
- 2017 David Ballard, MD
- 2016 Karen Buch, MD
- 2015 Manisha Bahl, MD
- 2014 Andrew Degnan, MD
- 2013 Sina Tavakoli, MD
- 2012 Mai-Lan Ho, MD
- 2011 Tara Ann Morgan, MD
- 2010 Amy M. Fowler, MD, PhD
- 2009 Samantha Lynn Heller, PhD, MD
- 2008 Dino P. Massoglia, MD, PhD
- 2007 Christopher Whitlow, MD, PhD
- 2006 Anu Bansal, MD
- 2005 Joseph P. Erinjeri, MD, PhD