RSNA welcomes radiologists from around the world to take part in our scientific and educational programs. Close to 11,000 international participants attended RSNA 2017. We encourage all international attendees to make travel plans as early as possible.
Visit our About Chicago page to find general information about the city, like the language, weather and local currency. There are also tips on how to make the most of your time in Chicago and at RSNA 2018.
We look forward to seeing you at the annual meeting!
Our staff is here to help. If you have any questions about international travel for an RSNA activity, contact us at 1-630-571-7873 or email email@example.com.
Do I need a visa?
Visa requirements vary based on national origin, current residence, previous travel and passport eligibility.
- The U.S. Department of State is the most trusted source for up-to-date information on visa and passport issues.
- The Visa Waiver Program (VWP) enables most citizens or nationals of participating countries to travel to the United States for tourism or business for stays of 90 days or less without first obtaining a visa, when they meet certain requirements.
- The Visa Wizard is a tool to help travelers understand what type of visa they may need.
How do I apply?
We recommend that you apply for a visa as soon as possible. You will need to complete an application and provide a photograph. You may require an interview. Contact the U.S. Embassy or consulate in your country for specific application procedures and estimated wait times for interview appointments.
Do I need a visa invitation letter?
You don't need a visa invitation for a visa application, but the information below may assist in describing the purpose of your trip:
The Radiological Society of North America (RSNA) is a not-for-profit medical society that provides high-quality, relevant and essential education in all radiologic subspecialties to radiologists around the world. The 104th RSNA Scientific Assembly and Annual Meeting will be held November 25 to November 30, 2018, in Chicago, Illinois. Each year, more than 50,000 medical and science professionals from around the globe attend the RSNA annual meeting. With more than 400 educational courses and several thousand scientific papers, scientific posters and education exhibits, the annual meeting offers an unparalleled educational opportunity. Also, nearly 700 technical exhibitors will display state-of-the-art technology and the latest radiology products and services. By attending the annual meeting, you are demonstrating your commitment to enhancing your expertise in radiology and improving patient care.
What are some tips for successful visa applications?
- Apply early! Apply at least three to four months before your planned travel date. Applying early allows time to apply again if your initial visa request is rejected.
- Complete your application fully and accurately.
- Present your entire trip itinerary, including travel to any countries other than the U.S.
- Provide evidence that you intend to return to your country of residence, and/or binding or sufficient ties to your home country or permanent residence abroad.
- Provide proof of professional scientific and/or educational status, society membership and meeting registration.
- If the embassy requires an in-person interview, dress professionally and prepare for your interview by being able to clearly and concisely describe your intentions.
What if my application is denied?
The embassy will explain the reason for denial to you. You may choose to reapply if time permits. If you have already registered for RSNA 2018 and paid a registration fee, we will refund your fee. We recommend you take part in the RSNA Virtual Meeting to see live-streamed courses, participate in the Case of the Day, and view education exhibits and posters.
Where can I get assistance with my visa or passport application?
CIBTvisas provides a complete line of services to assist travelers in obtaining passports, visas, renewals and legalization documents. With offices around the world, CIBT will manage the application process for you. Fees vary based on complexity of application and are in addition to any government/consular fees due to the embassy.
Travel stipend program
The RSNA International Travel Stipend Program provides eligible members with travel assistance for related expenses to attend our annual meeting in Chicago. Up to 50 eligible candidates will receive awards of $500 and complimentary meeting registration.
- Must be an RSNA member in good standing.
- Currently living in a World Bank designated low-income country.
- Must specify how the knowledge and experience gained from attending the RSNA annual meeting will benefit and impact local healthcare.
- Must be proficient in English.
- Must personally attend the RSNA annual meeting to claim the travel stipend.
- Log in to your RSNA account and complete the online application form.
- Supply your current curriculum vitae (CV).
- Include a letter of support from a department chair or other statement supporting your financial need.
- Write a 400-word personal essay stating how the program will benefit you.
- Provide proof of proficiency in English, where applicable (a TOEFL or equivalent test score taken within the last two years). For applicants from countries where English is an official language, a TOEFL test is not required, but the letter from your home institution must attest to your verbal fluency in English.
The deadline to apply for a 2018 RSNA International Travel Stipend has passed. Application information for RSNA 2019 will be available early 2019.