Introduction to Research for International Young Academics
The Introduction to Research for International Young Academics (IRIYA) workshop encourages young radiologists from around the world to pursue careers in academic radiology. During this four-day seminar held during the RSNA annual meeting, you’ll discover the rewards of a career in academic radiology, gain real-world insight from esteemed colleagues and have the chance to meet future mentors. Past participants have come from over 65 countries.
Workshop dates and location
The IRIYA workshop will be held November 28 to December 1 during RSNA 2022 at McCormick Place in Chicago.
- Must be from outside the United States or Canada.
- Residents or fellows currently in a radiology training program, or radiologists that are no more than two years out of training, and beginning or considering an academic career.
- Nominations must be made by your department chairperson or training director.
- Fluency in English is required.
The RSNA Committee on International Radiology Education recommends 15 international young academics for consideration by the Society’s Board of Directors each year. Successful candidates receive complimentary registration, shared hotel accommodations for the duration of the program and a stipend to help reduce travel expenses.
- Designing and planning clinical research
- Research ethics
- Evidence-based medicine evaluation of literature
- Academic pathways
- Preparing a manuscript
- Oral presentation of scientific research
- Emerging topics in radiology
“The IRIYA program helped me discover that a career in radiology research is not only possible, but vastly rewarding. I met esteemed mentors who started me on the path to success in my native Germany and across the world. I am now able to share what I have learned with new generations: I have presented RSNA refresher courses and served on RSNA’s Committee for International Radiology Education, which enables me to show promising young academics the great possibilities for their future.”
— Winfried A. Willinek, 2004 IRIYA participant
Application and nomination process
The 2022 IRIYA application cycle is closed and will reopen in January 2023.