Medical Student Research Grant
This R&E Foundation grant gives medical students the opportunity to gain research experience in medical imaging while they’re still in school. Recipients will define objectives, develop research skills and test hypotheses, all before even choosing a residency program. In the end, this experience gives students a chance to consider academic radiology as a future career option.
Application deadline: Feb. 3, 2020
Nature of projects
Any area of research in the radiologic sciences is eligible for funding. Projects may include any of the following:
- Hypothesis-driven basic science
- Clinical investigation
- Drug, device or therapy development
- Comparative effectiveness
- Evidence-based radiology
- Ethics and professionalism
- Quality improvement
- Clinical practice efficiency
- Imaging informatics
Grant recipients receive $3,000, which is matched by the sponsoring department, equaling $6,000 total. It is to be used as a stipend for the medical student. Funds are intended to secure time for the recipient and may not be used for non-personnel research expenses.
You must be an RSNA member to apply for the Medical Student Research Grant. If you’re a non dues-paying member, your scientific advisor or your co-investigator must be a dues-paying member. You must also meet the following criteria:
- You must be a full-time medical student at an accredited North American medical school.
- You must commit to work full-time for at least 10 weeks on your research project.
- Your research project must take place in a department of radiology, radiation oncology or nuclear medicine in a North American medical institution, but this doesn’t have to be the same institution where you’re enrolled as a student.
- You cannot have been a principal investigator on a grant or contract totaling more than US$60,000 in a single year. This includes single and combined grants and contracts from government, private and commercial sources.
- You and your principal investigators cannot be employed by any for-profit, commercial company in the radiologic sciences.
- You cannot submit more than one grant application to the RSNA R&E Foundation a year, and cannot have a concurrent RSNA grant.
- Funding from other grant sources must be approved by foundation staff if it wasn’t described in the original research plan.
For more detailed information, including application instructions, please review the policies and procedures (PDF) for this grant.
To view additional recipients from prior years, please use our online grant and award recipient search tool.
About the R&E Foundation
Our Research & Education Foundation provides a critical source of support for investigators. Since the Foundation’s inception in 1984 we’ve awarded over 1,450 grants. That’s more than $60 million in funding for radiology research and improving patient care.